Healthy veggies Quinoa Salad recipe, stay healthy on this summer |Healthy-net
Quinoa Salad is the perfect side dish for a hot summer day, plus it’s full of healthy veggies. It can also stand on its own as a light lunch or snack, or – my favorite Quinoa Salad – serve it over fresh greens and add your favorite protein for a yummy salad. It’s easy to make ahead of time and then just scoop when you’re ready to eat!
Healthy veggies Quinoa Salad recipe, stay healthy on this summer
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 leek
- 1/2 large cucumber
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Grapeseed oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Steps: to Prepare Quinoa salad
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly under cold water using a fine mesh colander. Add the quinoa to a medium pot, then add the water and a drizzle of olive oil. Cover with a lid and heat until it boils, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15-17 minutes. When it’s done, remove from heat and use a fork to fluff it up (if it’s still soggy, leave over low heat for a few more minutes). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion. Place it in a large skillet, drizzle a little grapeseed oil over the top and saute over medium heat, stirring often.
- Peel the outer layer off the leek, chop off the top darker green part, then rinse. Next, cut the leek in half lengthwise and then chop each long half into thin pieces (about 1/4 inch thick). Place these pieces in the mesh colander (reuse the one from step 1) and run under cold water, squishing apart the layers with your fingers, to separate the pieces and ensure the dirt is all washed away. Toss the clean pieces into the skillet with the onion, add a few sprinkles of salt, and stir, continuing to saute until the leek softens and the onion is golden brown.
- Wash and peel the cucumber, then chop it into small pieces. Set aside.
- Wash the tomatoes and, depending on their size, chop each in half.
- Wash the parsley and pull off the leaves, placing them in a pile on your cutting board. Use a large knife to cut the parsley into finer pieces. (Hold the rounded fronts end of the knife down with one hand so that it doesn’t move too much, and then use your other hand to rotate the knife in a chopping motion. Then rotate the cutting board 90 degrees and repeat, so you’re chopping perpendicularly.)
- In a large bowl, combine the fluffed-up quinoa, the onion and leek saute, the cucumbers, the tomatoes, the parsley, and the garlic powder, along with a drizzle of olive oil, the dash of pepper and a few sprinkles of salt. Toss together, then cover and keep in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy. Yum!
- Try to buy as much organic produce as you can, as it minimizes the bad stuff you put into your body to optimize your health. Quinoa packs a hearty protein punch, so this light salad is a great healthy choice for a hot summer day like the ones we’ve been having!